Are you an avid cyclist? Do you enjoy the thrill of biking through diverse terrains, be it city streets or challenging mountain trails? Proper gear maintenance is essential, and Dr. Bronner's products have proven invaluable in this regard.
Table of Contents
- How to Clean Your Bike Chain and Frame with Sal Suds All-Purpose Cleaner
- Cleaning Your Cycling Gear with Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner
- Dealing with Soreness After Bike Riding
How to Clean Your Bike Chain and Frame with Sal Suds All-Purpose Cleaner
Keeping your bike, chain, and drivetrain clean and properly lubricated is a crucial part of bike maintenance. Cleaning the bike insures better performance, increased safety, easier repairs, and longer life for all parts of the bike. Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner is a great option for cyclists who want to use a green, biodegradable, non-toxic, bike frame cleaner and chain degreaser. As the bike experts remind us, “A clean bike is a happy bike!”
Many bike experts break down bike care into these three steps:
- Every ride, check your bike chain for proper lubrication.
- Light cleaning every 1-2 weeks. Give your bike a full washing. Rinse with water. Wipe down your bike tires and frame with diluted Sal Suds to clean away chunks of dirt and mud. Rinse with water. Wipe dry with a clean rag or cloth.
- Full cleaning every 2-4 weeks. Along with a full bike washing, it’s time to rejuvenate your chain and drivetrain with a degreasing.
Degreasing your chain and drivetrain with Dr. Bronner’s involves:
- Cleaning the chain and drivetrain cassette with diluted or undiluted Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner.
- Brushing the drivetrain cassette with a stiff chain brush and Sal Suds.
- Using and following the instructions for dedicated chain cleaning tools using Sal Suds as your cleaner of choice.
Degreasing Your Bike Chain
If you don’t have a dedicated chain cleaning tool, try these degreasing steps:
- Apply Sal Suds directly without diluting.
- Drizzle 100% undiluted Sal Suds onto the chain as you run the chain through the gears backwards.
- Let the chain sit for five minutes.
- Then do a stiff brush brushing with a dilution of about a quarter of Sal Suds to three quarters of water.
- Rinse with water, and let dry.
- Lube the chain after it has finished drying, then wipe off any excess lube.
Cleaning Your Cycling Gear with Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner
Following your cycling adventure, it's inevitable that your cycling apparel will require some cleaning and maintenance to be ready for the next ride. Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner is an environmentally friendly laundry option for effectively cleaning your cycling attire, including shorts, socks, jerseys, vests, arm and leg warmers, and gloves.
Similar to Dr. Bronner's Castile soaps, the recommended Sal Suds dilutions are adaptable to suit various circumstances, whether you're dealing with heavily soiled gear, using a larger washing machine, or facing different requirements. Feel free to experiment and tailor the dilution to your specific needs.
Keep in mind that specialized cycling clothing, such as bike shorts, jerseys, and warmers, are best cared for through hand washing and air drying. Both diluted Sal Suds and Peppermint Pure-Castile have been tried and tested for hand washing bike shorts and have yielded excellent results. When the clothing's care instructions recommend a gentle approach, ensure you dilute the Sal Suds accordingly. Adapt and customize these recommendations to suit your preferences and circumstances.
2-3 Tbsp. (30-45 mL) for a large load in a top loading washer. Optional: For extra whitening/brightening, add ½ c. (120 mL) baking soda to wash cycle and/or 1 c. (240 mL) vinegar to rinse cycle. Halve these amounts for HE washers.
- Check out: Green Laundry Care with Dr. Bronner’s
Pretreating Laundry Stains
Pre-measure Sal Suds for load. Apply some or all directly to stain(s). Let sit 30 minutes or more. Add remaining Sal Suds to washer. For broad stain, spray with a solution of half Sal Suds/half water.
1/2 capful (1/2 Tbsp. or 7.5 mL) Sal Suds in about 1 gallon (4 L) of water. Swish gently. Let soak 10 minutes. Swish again. Rinse with clean water. Gently press out excess water with a towel. Hang clothing or lay flat to dry.
- Check out: Handwashing Delicates with Dr. Bronner’s
Dealing with Soreness After Bike Riding
For those cyclists who encounter discomfort due to the physical demands of the sport, such as chafing, Dr. Bronner's Magic Balms are a great solution. It's highly effective in soothing irritated areas. Additionally, the Arnica-Menthol Organic Magic Balm is excellent for relieving sore muscles.
Happy cycling... and here’s to clean bikes! All-One!
Sal Suds cleaner shows >60% biodegradation after 28 days per ISO 14593.