Recycling and Waste Diversion Coordinator
Under general and direct supervision is responsible for coordinating the flow, handling, and proper sorting of reused, recycled, composted, and landfilled material from all areas of the business. Supports Dr. Bronner’s goals to be a zero-waste manufacturing operation, pursue the “5 R’s” of the zero waste hierarchy (Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot), and engage employees in becoming environmental stewards through waste reduction, proper handling, and diversion.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Recycling Handling & Waste Diversion:
- Responsible for in-house recycling programs. Ensures Gaylord boxes in the warehouse are properly labeled, emptied, and/or changed out as needed.
- Responsible for the operation of balers and strap cutters.
- Monitors waste and ensures it is correctly sorted before sending out for pick-ups.
- Responsible for scheduling movement of the material into and out of storage areas for all Dr. Bronner’s warehouses.
- Coordinates logistics with waste diversion and recycling vendors for pick-ups.
- Responsible for ordering materials needed for the recycling and composting programs upon reviewing with area lead and department manager.
- Coordinates with Janitorial team and colleagues across the company on bin labeling and locations and proper handling.
Zero Waste Program Support:
- Assists with collecting data related to in-house waste and recycling.
- Is part of the “Green Team.” As part of this team is also key in providing ideas, feedback, and implementation of methods to help minimize waste and proper sorting.
- Develops recycling plans and goals to help the company minimize waste and works closely with the “Green Team” to implement processes.
- Responsible for developing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Work Instructions (WI) related to waste handling and diversion.
- Identifies new opportunities for material to be recycled, reused, and otherwise diverted from landfills.
- Participates in and supports company “Dumpster Dives” in an effort to work on key improvements based upon findings.
- Provides training to production, shipping and receiving and office personnel related to best practices in safe handling and sorting of materials.
This position will interact closely with Production Supervisor, Plant Operations Manager, production staff, materials and equipment suppliers, contractors, Shipping & Receiving employees, Green Team members, Environmental Impact & Compliance Specialist, and office personnel.
- Minimum: High School diploma or equivalent level of reading, writing, understanding and communicating understanding and accurate use of mathematic function; prior experience providing coordination and oversight of recycled, waste management material nature described in the Essential Duties.
- Preferred: Fluent in English & Spanish. Experience providing coordination and oversight of 1-2 years prior experience with Zero Waste principles and practices.
- Degree in Environmental Management, Supply Management, Environmental Studies, or related fields.
Any combination of education and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration for this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to operate a baler
- Skill at keeping
,tracking inventory, and requesting material from another warehouse or supplier.
- Computer systems competencies in Microsoft programs (intermediate use of Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet).
- Ability to learn, accurately, and thoroughly prepare, enter, and evaluate data on spreadsheets or other data repositories.
- Accurately report errors to supervisors and or leaders.
- Ability to work under rapidly changing priorities and confusion.
- Ability to anticipate needs and solve problems.
- Ability to multi-task in an efficient, thorough, and prioritized manner.
- Ability to work quickly, accurately, and independently.
- Possess a strong work ethic.
- Must support a positive work environment while driving continuous improvement.
- Work with leads and supervisors to meet the demands of the department.
- Work with a spirit of enthusiasm, teamwork, cooperation, and a sense of urgency.
- Ability to communicate effectively with company staff – Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Tools and Equipment Used
Forklift, electric pallet jack, and standard office equipment. Operating baler, strap cutters, pallet wrappers.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards. Must possess and/or complete in-house pallet jack, forklift, and confine space certification.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Perform work in a varying temperature interior and exterior plant environment including the presence of periodic dust and other non-toxic airborne and wear safety shoes (steel toe).
- Sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel and use both hands, arms and legs for dexterity and balance constantly
- Frequently or as assigned, lifts, balances, carries, stacks, and pushes/pulls objects weighing from 50 pounds and reaches above and below shoulder height.
- Occasionally bends, lifts, pulls and pushes such objects as boxes, drawers, loaded carts, pallet jack, and similar equipment and supplies weighing up to 60 pounds.
- Occasionally is required to perform the safe operation of a vehicle, forklift, and machines, recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace
- Performs work assignments requiring good memory and concentration.
- Must be able to hear, see including peripheral vision and distinction of colors, read and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent backgrounds and origins.
- Must work in an environment with a moderate-to-high noise level and minimal heating and air conditioning.