Packaging Production Specialist
This position is responsible for assisting with global packaging related projects (such as the design and production of labels, wrappers, point of sale displays and outer packaging) within the Marketing Department. The Packaging Production Specialist will assist with competitor research and data analysis for the development of packaging improvements and on-pack promotional marketing programs.
Dr. Bronner’s is an iconic brand with a deeply loyal customer base, whose products touch many communities, including consumers who care about natural and organic products, outdoors enthusiasts and people who shop at a wide range of stores including natural food stores, outdoor retailers, hardware stores, mass-market and more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position requires a professional with experience in print/packaging production and personal care products with the familiarity of merchandising programs in the natural products industry, beauty channel, mass-market channel, outdoor channel, and/or hardware channel. This person should have strong project management skills, a good understanding of print production, be able to work independently, and creatively contribute to all communication goals. The position will require interaction with company partners including packaging companies and printers. Solid written, verbal and communication skills are required.
The Packaging Production Specialist reports to the Packaging Production Manager but supports all members of the Marketing team and will closely interact with the Design Department, Sales, Operations, and Production. The Packaging Production Specialist is responsible for achieving marketing goals and targets set by the Packaging Production Manager and the Vice President of Marketing.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Duties are varied and will include, among others:
- Production support for domestic and international design requests (e.g. labels, bar soap wrappers, product packaging and gift boxes) including strategic input on messaging, creative brief development, proofreading; quality control in accordance with logo/style guides for domestic and international projects; ensuring print specifications are being met;
- Gathers edits/changes needed on existing and/or new packaging projects, organizes these in a succinct manner, and posts needs and any other further updates/edits on Basecamp for Graphic Design team;
- Assists with cross-departmental approvals of artwork and in distributing approved files to print partners;
- Proactively evaluates project deliverables and ensures they are on time and of high quality.
- Develops and maintains trackers for any label and/or packaging updates. Continuously tracks at which stage all projects are in; helps prioritize or fast-track projects as needed.
- Assists with the implementation of packaging plans and strategic projects;
- Carries out competitor research in the field, in-house and online to support new packaging development; including identifying new, improved and/or more sustainable packaging solutions.
- Researches & compares new print production options to assist in special or short label runs (e.g. digital printers, in-house printers, etc.) to help minimize waste
- Evaluates the success of new specialty packaging/product launches and promotional campaigns by reviewing sales and/or redemption numbers, analyzing sales data, and garnering feedback from the Sales Department on how the item is doing in the marketplace as it relates to packaging improvements.
- Helps manage holiday gift sets, Webstore gift boxes, and the Floor & Countertop Display program.
- Researches & compares different packaging options and materials that could help save on costs and/or are more environmentally friendly for use by Production, Ecommerce, Marketing and/or Sales teams.
- Continues education to update job knowledge, and participates in training programs that focus on print/packaging production and data-analytical skills.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for new and different requests; and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
The Packaging Production Specialist works under the general direction of the Packaging Production Manager and will interact closely with all members of the Marketing department, other company departments and outside label & packaging printers.
Possession of a Bachelor of Arts degree in Marketing, Communications, Business
Administration or similar and/or course-specific work in print/packaging production, branding, design and/or marketing; 3-5 years of experience inhouse within a CPG brand, at a packaging design firm, agency, or print house preferred.
Any combination of education and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Project Management – Experienced tracking projects, task-oriented.
- Print Production – Fulfills company’s needs for labels, wrappers, point of sale displays and packaging in a timely manner. Coordinates process from the design stage to final production and ensures specifications are being met. Understands the different methods, options, and criteria of print production and coordinating project timelines with outside printers and packaging suppliers.
- Innovation – Meets challenges with resourcefulness; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Creativity – Excellent business writer with the ability to write creatively.
- Teamwork – Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Leadership – Accepts feedback from others and modifies work styles accordingly.
- Self-starter, organized and highly motivated. Ability to multi-task, be flexible and self-sufficient. Positive attitude, self-motivated, confident and competitive. Ability to work within a team environment and independently. Strong initiative with a strong desire to succeed.
- To perform assigned tasks successfully, an individual should have advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook). Basecamp, Dropbox, Adobe InDesign, Sketch-up and Project management software experience a plus.
- Excellence in business communications such as in writing reports, business correspondences, and in oral presentations; ability to present complex material in a clear and easily understandable language;
- Works with a spirit of enthusiasm, teamwork, cooperation and a sense of urgency.
- Ability to multi-task in an efficient, thorough, and prioritized manner; to work quickly, accurately and independently; and, to anticipate needs and solve problems.
- Ability to travel to various locations throughout the U.S. as assigned.
Tools and Equipment Used
Use standard office equipment including proficient use of a personal computer, phone & printer.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Agency’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL & ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Perform work in a climate-controlled office setting.
- Sit and/or stand for extended periods, walk, bend at the waist and knees, kneel and use hands, arms and legs for dexterity and balance, and climb stairs frequently.
- Occasionally lift, carry and balance objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Pull and push such objects as file drawers and supplies.
- Prioritize and multi-task work and projects requiring good memory, concentration, and analytical thinking.
- Occasionally perform the safe operation of office equipment and machines, and recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
- Must be able to hear, see (including peripheral vision and distinction of colors), read and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and origins.
The noise level in the work environment is usually at a medium level due to an open work area.