Packaging Production Specialist
OVERVIEW & JOB SUMMARY
Under direct and general supervision of the Packaging Production Manager, the Packaging Production Specialist is responsible for assisting with global packaging-related projects (such as the design and production of labels, wrappers, displays, and outer packaging) within the Marketing Department. The Packaging Production Specialist will also assist with the development of Point of Sales (POS) Displays/Visual Merchandise, print production and color management, and research different print materials (Corrugate, Cardstock, Labels, Ink, Adhesives, etc.) to recommend for a variety of projects.
Dr. Bronner’s is an iconic brand with a deeply loyal customer base, whose products touch many communities, including consumers who care about natural and organic products, outdoors enthusiasts, and people who shop at a wide range of stores including natural food stores, outdoor retailers, hardware stores, mass-market and more.
This position is located at Dr. Bronner’s headquarters in Vista, CA, and will not be a remote position once Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are important values at Dr. Bronner’s. All employees are called to practice acceptance, treat others with dignity and respect, learn from and celebrate each other’s differences, recognize one’s own privilege, root out one’s own and speak up against prejudice, and work to create a healthy and respectful workspace where colleagues feel valued and part of our community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position requires a professional with experience in print/packaging production and personal care products with familiarity with visual merchandising programs in the natural products industry, beauty channel, mass-market channel, outdoor channel, and/or hardware channel. This person should have strong project management skills, a good understanding of print production, have experience with POS Displays/Visual Merchandise, be able to work independently, and creatively contribute to all communication goals. The position will require interaction with company partners including packaging companies and printers. Solid written, verbal and communication skills are required.
The Packaging Production Specialist reports to the Packaging Production Manager but supports other members of the Marketing team and will closely interact with the Design, Sales, Operations, and Production departments. The Packaging Production Specialist is responsible for achieving marketing goals and targets set by the Packaging Production Manager and the Vice President of Marketing.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Print production support for domestic and international design requests (e.g. labels, bar soap wrappers, displays, outer cases, gift sets, etc.) including strategic input on messaging, creative brief development, proofreading; quality control in accordance with logo/style guides for domestic and international projects; ensuring print specifications are being met;
- Gathers edits & changes needed on existing and/or new packaging projects, organizes these in a succinct manner, and posts needs and any other further updates & edits on Basecamp and/or Asana for the Design team.
- Assists with cross-departmental approvals of artwork and in distributing approved files to print partners.
- Proactively evaluates project deliverables and ensures they are on time and of high quality.
- Develops and maintains trackers for all label and/or packaging projects. Continuously tracks at which stage all projects are in; helps prioritize or fast-track projects as needed.
- Helps develop and manage the production of Point of Sales (POS) Displays/Visual Merchandise; Assists with the implementation of packaging plans and strategic projects; Evaluates the success of new/improved POS packaging in the market by reviewing sales data and customer/retailer feedback.
- Research & compares different print & packaging options and materials (i.e. Corrugate, Cardstock, Labels, Inks, Adhesives, etc.) that could help save on costs and/or are more environmentally friendly for use by Production, Ecommerce, Marketing, and/or Sales teams.
- Research & compares print production options to assist in special or short label runs (e.g. digital printers, in-house printers, etc.) to help minimize waste.
- Advises on color management and provides recommendations on print production materials; Attends press checks to ensure that color, quality, branding, etc. are all met.
- Continues education to update job knowledge; participates in training programs that focus on print/packaging production and data-analytical skills.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for new and different requests; and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Other duties as assigned within the job scope.
The incumbent will interact closely with other members of the Packaging Production/Marketing department, other departments, and outside label & packaging printers.
Possession of a Bachelor of Arts degree in Marketing, Communications, Business Administration or similar and/or course-specific work in print/packaging production, visual merchandising/POS, branding, design, and/or marketing; 3-5 years of experience in-house within a CPG brand, at a packaging design firm, agency, or print house preferred.
Any combination of education and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Attitude: Confident, positive, enthusiastic, down to earth, flexible, & passionate
- Communication: Excellent, adaptive, creative, and concise verbal and written communicator in meeting spaces as well as over the phone, and e-mail; polite, professional, patient, and diplomatic in navigating inquiries; strong grammar skills. Requires strong interpersonal, communication, and organization skills including a good sense of judgment and the ability to build positive work relationships.
- Confidentiality: Maintain a high degree of confidentiality over all matters in the course of business operations including customer and employee information and demonstrate tact, discretion, exercise good judgment and discretion in handling and disseminating information.
- Critical Thinking: Ability to reason and analyze, to set and adhere to a timeline, accurately and independently, and to solve problems.
- Initiative: Responds promptly to requests, works quickly, accurately, and independently; effectively executes strategies, identify upcoming needs and potential risks; proactively manage tasks, meets challenges with resourcefulness, and present ideas and information in a manner that moves the team forward
- Leadership: Highly motivated and cooperative, takes initiative and responsibility for individual and group work, possesses a strong desire to succeed, accepts feedback from others, works with a spirit of enthusiasm and a sense of urgency.
- Organization: Exceptional proficiency in tracking deliverables, tasks, and project deadlines, juggling competing priorities, and multi-tasking efficiently
- Respect: Consciously learn from and celebrate differences among identities while recognizing commonalities and shared experiences; practice inclusive language and promote acceptance, safety, respect, inclusion, and value of individuals within the workplace, and those with whom you interact on behalf of the organization; become aware of all forms of bias, prejudice, and discrimination, and work to eliminate personal vestiges of racism, homophobia and sexism in thought, action and word; promptly report incidents of bias, prejudice, and bigotry to the Human Resources Department or any member of the Executive Team.
- Teamwork: Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views, contributes to building a positive team spirit, is flexible to modifying work style to be effective within the group, able to work within a team environment and independently.
- Technical Proficiency: Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook); digital file sharing and project management systems (Google Drive, Dropbox, and SharePoint); Experience using Basecamp, Dropbox, Adobe InDesign, Sketch-up, and Project management software experience a plus.
- Project Management – Experienced in tracking projects, task-oriented.
- Print Production – Fulfills company’s needs for labels, wrappers, point of sale displays, and packaging in a timely manner. Coordinates process from the design stage to final production and ensures specifications are being met. Understands the different methods, options, and criteria of print production and coordinating project timelines with outside printers and packaging suppliers.
- POS Displays/Visual Merchandising – assists in the development, production, and evaluation of Point of Sales (POS) Displays/Visual Merchandise.
- Innovation – Meets challenges with resourcefulness; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Ability to travel to various locations throughout the U.S. as assigned.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Must be proficient in the operation of standard office support equipment including, but not limited to, personal computer, copier/scanner, fax, telephone system, etc.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Perform work in a climate-controlled office setting.
- Sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity and balance frequently.
- Occasionally lifts, carries, and balances objects weighing up to 35 pounds.
- Pulls and pushes objects such as file drawers, loaded carts, audio/visual equipment, computers, and similar office equipment and supplies.
- Prioritizes and multi-tasks work and projects requiring good memory, concentration, and analytical thinking.
- Occasionally is required to perform the safe operation of a vehicle, office equipment and machines, and recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
- Must be able to hear, see including the distinction of colors, read and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent socioeconomic backgrounds and origins.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate (in a plant environment).
Dr. Bronner’s is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.