OVERVIEW & JOB SUMMARY
Under direct and general supervision within the emerging R&D program within the Operations Services and Innovation department, the Packaging Engineer will be responsible for developing or sourcing packaging solutions; designing, testing, and implementing quality improving, cost-saving & environmentally responsible packaging opportunities; and supporting Dr. Bronner’s new and existing product packaging development needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Responsible for the following:
Research, Design, and Source Packaging Solutions
- Act as the technical lead for packaging related projects
- Draft or review engineering specifications for new packaging materials
- Manage preparation and filing of new packaging regulatory paperwork including SVHC under REACH, CONEG, and Prop 65
- Design and manage packaging sample library
- Support sourcing of packaging materials as needed by liaising with brokers, manufacturers, vendors, and design firms, in partnership with Marketing and Purchasing, to ensure we secure high-quality packaging materials that meet our specifications on time
Design and Provide Packaging Quality Assurance
- Develop packaging material specifications through internal interviews, product testing, and consumer testing; create or edit packaging material specification sheets
- Design QC inspection and reporting processes for packaging materials
- Working closely with Production and Quality staff, test proposed new packaging materials for functionality with equipment and compatibility with product
- Provide technical expertise in troubleshooting packaging-related quality defects
Support Packaging Research & Development
- Develop and execute package qualification, testing, and sampling plans to ensure a successful commercialization
- Design and conduct technical feasibility assessments on packaging materials, including review of environmental impact, supply chain impact, manufacturing considerations, cost drivers, intellectual property, and consumer experience
- Provide technical support for packaging material claims, including environmental claims such as “made of 100% Post-Consumer Recycled fiber” or health claims such as “BPA-free”
- Write or edit Packaging Briefs as needed, write or edit packaging sections of R&D Briefs
- Serve on the multi-functional product innovation team, liaise cross-departmentally and with component vendors and contract manufacturers
Advance Sustainable Packaging Innovations
- Manage and ensure data accuracy in third party standardized recycling instruction labeling system, How2Recycle
- Stay up to date on sustainable packaging innovations; summarize and update the team on new applicable technologies; champion new technologies and product ideas
- Participate in the internal Sustainable Packaging committee
- Serve as an active member of the Operations Services & Innovation team
- Other duties as assigned within the job scope
This position will interact closely with OSI, Marketing, and Operations Administration departments.
- Required: College degree or the equivalent in Packaging Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or related field.
- Required: 2-4 years’ experience primary packaging and secondary packaging development at a consumer products company
- Required: Proven understanding of packaging components, supplier processes, manufacturing processes.
- Required: Superior attention to detail and technical knowledge in packaging engineering, package design, packaging technology, and materials science.
- Preferred: Experience at an ISO 9000 or other third-party registered manufacturing facilities.
- Preferred: Experience in a fast-paced, collaborative office environment in a consumer-packaged-goods company.
Any combination of education and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Outstanding research and quantitative analysis skills;
- Demonstrated interest in environmental sustainability;
- Outstanding spatial design skills;
- Creative and hyper-organized database management skills;
- Advanced Excel skills;
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- Proven ability to evaluate data and succinctly present analysis;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate constructively with a wide range of diverse colleagues and stakeholders;
- A self-starter with the ability to work primarily independently on data analysis but also collaborate effectively in a team-based environment;
- Ability to multi-task in an efficient, thorough, and prioritized manner;
- Works with a spirit of enthusiasm, cooperation and a sense of urgency;
- A flexible, friendly, optimistic problem-solver with a sense of humor;
- Possess and maintains a can-do attitude and the desire to create positive lasting change through creativity, innovation, persistence, and feedback;
- Maintains a high degree of confidentiality over all matters in the course of business operations and employee information;
- Fluent in English with ability to correspond with a high degree of professionalism and tact in a verbal and written communication;
- Preferred: Experience with COMPASS or other Life Cycle Analysis software
- Preferred: MATLAB, SOLIDWORKS, or other computer-aided design software
- Preferred: Bilingual: English and Spanish.
- Preferred: Familiarity with SQF, BRC, ANSI, and/or ISO standards and systems.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Computer, label printing system, lab equipment, and standard office equipment.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL & ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of that which must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly must:
- Perform work in a climate-controlled office, lab, and manufacturing floor setting;
- Travel and work independently at plant and vendor locations
- Sit, stand, walk, reach above and below shoulder heights, climb stairs, bend and stoop, crawl, kneel and use hands, arms, and legs for dexterity and balance requiring the use of both arms and legs frequently.
- Experience frequent interruptions and work under pressure of time with multiple priorities.
- Occasionally lift, carry and balance objects weighing up to 35 pounds.
- Pull and push such objects as file drawers, loaded carts, pallet jacks, computers, and similar office equipment and supplies.
- Prioritize and multi-task work and projects requiring good memory, concentration, and analytical thinking.
- Occasionally perform the safe operation of a vehicle, office equipment, and machines, and recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
- Frequently work alone but is occasionally required to interact or perform and communicate with others.
- Be able to hear, see including the distinction of colors, read, and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from diverse socio-economic backgrounds and origins.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, and hearing of normal conversation is required.