OVERVIEW & JOB SUMMARY
General Counsel is responsible for overseeing, managing, and updating the corporation’s complex corporate, trust, regulatory, compliance, real estate, and other legal matters. This role includes providing legal counsel to company officers, the executive team, and senior management.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are important values at Dr. Bronner’s. All employees are called to practice acceptance, treat others with dignity and respect, learn from and celebrate each other’s differences, recognize one’s own privilege, root out one’s own and speak up against prejudice, and work to create a healthy and respectful workspace where colleagues feel valued and part of our community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Managing an organization’s legal matters on various corporate and trust matters.
- Develop and lead corporate legal strategy to promote and protect the company’s matters.
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to management and executive team by evaluating discussions, decisions, or courses of action.
- Provide general counsel on issues such as ownership of shares, various corporate entities, contracts, non-disclosure agreements (NDAs)Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs), property interests, government regulations, licensing, trademarks, patents, and employment.
- Structure, draft, review, and negotiate a variety of corporate, real estate, regulatory and other transaction documents.
- Develop and lead internal audits and corporate compliance programs.
- Oversee the delivery of legal services and resources to accomplish corporate goals, strategies, and priorities.
- Maintain proper corporate interactions with the relevant local, state, and federal governmental bodies, legislatures, and the community at large.
- Advice Officers and other senior management on a variety of issues such as demand letters, disputes, contracts, agreements, regulations, trademarks, etc.
- Provide legal guidance on family-related agreements/commitments.
- Work in collaboration with an external legal team.
President, Cosmic Engagement Officer (CEO), Chief Operations Officer (COO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO), executive council, department heads, insurance carriers, brokers, external legal counsel, and opposing legal counsel.
- Proven track record of providing pragmatic and reasonable advice to corporations.
- Demonstrated success in strategizing, handling, and managing complex disputes to a successful resolution.
- At least 7 years of experience handling corporate contracts, product liability/injury, professional liability, general liability, and/or employment complex matters with litigation, deposition, mediation, and arbitration experience.
- Completed undergraduate and Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited law school.
- Must be admitted, in active status, and in good standing with the California State Bar.
Any combination of education and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Communication: Excellent, adaptive, creative, and concise verbal and written communicator in meeting spaces as well as over the phone, and e-mail; polite, professional, patient, and diplomatic in navigating inquiries; strong grammar skills. Requires strong interpersonal, communication, and the ability to build positive work relationships.
- Confidentiality: Maintain a high degree of confidentiality over all matters during business operations including customer and employee information and demonstrate tact, discretion, and discretion in handling and disseminating information. Unquestionable ethics, integrity, and sound judgment.
- Critical Thinking: Ability to reason and analyze, to set and adhere to a timeline accurately and independently, and to solve problems. Able to investigate, research, and analyze various matters.
- Initiative: Responds promptly to requests, works quickly, accurately, and independently; effectively executes strategies, identifies upcoming needs and potential risks; proactively manages tasks, meets challenges with resourcefulness, and presents ideas and information in a manner that moves the team forward.
- Leadership: Highly motivated and cooperative, takes initiative and responsibility for individual and group work, possesses a strong desire to succeed, accepts feedback from others, strong business acumen, works with a spirit of enthusiasm and a sense of urgency.
- Organization: Exceptional proficiency in tracking deliverables, tasks, and project deadlines, juggling competing priorities, and multi-tasking efficiently
- Respect: Consciously learn from and celebrate differences among identities while recognizing commonalities and shared experiences; become aware of all forms of bias, prejudice, and discrimination, and work to eliminate personal vestiges of racism, homophobia, and sexism in thought, action, and word; promptly report incidents of bias, prejudice, and bigotry to the Human Resources Department or any member of the Executive Team.
- Teamwork: Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views, contributes to building a positive team spirit, is flexible to modifying work style to be effective within the group, able to work within a team environment and independently.
- Technology: Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook); digital file sharing and project management systems (Google Drive, Dropbox, and SharePoint)
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Must be proficient in the operation of standard office support equipment including, but not limited to, personal computer, copier/scanner, fax, telephone system, etc.
Must have active status and good standing with the California State Bar. Reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Perform work in a climate-controlled office setting.
- Sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity and balance frequently.
- Occasionally lifts, carries, and objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Pulls and pushes objects such as file drawers, audio/visual equipment, computers, and similar office equipment and supplies.
- Prioritizes and multi-tasks work and projects requiring good memory, concentration, and analytical thinking.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate (in a plant environment).
Dr. Bronner’s is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.