Finance and Tax Specialist
The Finance and Tax Specialist will provide day to day support to the company by reconciling, recording and reporting sales and use tax Research and monitor tax laws changes related to sales & use, non-resident withholdings and property taxes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
• Configure and maintain AvaTax State Sales tax system requirements
• Compare AvaTax Update reconciliation reports to the business application reports and reconcile any discrepancies
• Assists with research and correction of problems discovered relating to sales tax
• Assists in the assessment of tax laws and tax liability
• Conducts tax research and documents findings for federal, state and local tax issues
• Respond to information requests from various tax authorities and assist with tax audits
• Research and monitor tax laws changes related to sales & use non-resident withholding and property taxes
• Prepare property tax returns
• Work with Financial Systems Manager to maintain the depreciation tax (and other) books and supporting documentation in the Fixed Asset System
• Support the finance team with Ad Hoc reporting and financial statement validation and support work
• Minimum 2 years of direct experience in accounting
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field preferred
• Work experience with tax software, returns, filings ideal
Any combination of education and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Direct accounting experience
• Work with a spirit of enthusiasm, teamwork, cooperation and a sense of urgency
• Working knowledge of Sales and Use tax requirements
• Must be skilled in Excel
• Possess an extremely detail and deadline-oriented work ethic
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Maintain a high degree of confidentiality over all matters in the course of business operations employee information
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Standard office equipment including telephone, multi-function copier, and personal computer.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
• Performs work in a climate-controlled office setting
• Sit and/or stand for extended periods, walk, bend at the waist and knees, kneel and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity and balance and climbing stairs frequently.
• Occasionally lifts carries and balances objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
• Pulls and pushes such objects as file drawers and supplies.
• Prioritizes and multi-tasks work and projects requiring good memory, concentration, and analytical thinking.
• Occasionally is required to perform the safe operation of a vehicle, office equipment, and machines, and recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
• Must be able to hear, see including the distinction of colors, read and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent socioeconomic backgrounds and origins.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, and hearing of normal conversation is required.