Director of Sales
OVERVIEW & JOB SUMMARY
The Director of Sales is responsible for developing and executing the company’s sales plan in order to meet short and long-term sales goals as set by the company’s leadership team. The Director of Sales should have extensive multi-channel/omni-channel experience including but not limited to natural, mass market, home improvement, outdoor as well as significant e-commerce experience. The Director of Sales will be responsible for goal setting, strategy and sales plan implementation; developing and managing the sales team; and growing retailer, distributor and broker relationships.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Ability to inspire, incentivize, manage and lead the entire sales department to work towards the All-One mission
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a high performing team-oriented environment.
- Plan, organize, implement and manage promotional and trade spend initiatives for the Company’s product lines
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Officers to identify sales strategies to best penetrate the market, including the development and execution of strategies to achieve annual revenue and operating targets.
- Develops and manages sales department budgets reviewing actual spend against forecast on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis with company Leadership
- Manages the performance and leadership development of the Sales team reviewing sales team members annually against KPIs.
- Develops a promotional calendar and including advertising spend for new and existing distributors, brokers, retailers, and e-commerce accounts
- Supervises national demo program and develops unique sales programs to grow the business
- Works to foster positive relationships with all distributors, retailers, and brokers in the United States to communicate product sales and marketing information and follow up on inquiries regarding products, orders, and promotions.
- Develops pricing strategies and implements price changes, and communicates to distributors, brokers, retailers, and e-tailers.
- Partners with marketing and other departments to execute strategies.
- Monitors Accounts Receivable including payment timing and chargebacks.
- Manages sample requests.
- Attends industry events, conferences, trade shows to generate new business leads.
- Travels 25%-50% domestically.
This position will interact closely with direct reports, CEO, CFO, COO, President, Marketing, PR, Operations, key buyers at retail/ e-tailers, distributors and brokers.
Directly supervises National Sales Managers, Regional/Mass Sales Managers, Inside Sales Manager, E-commerce Manager, Customer Relations Manager, National Demo Manager Webstore Manager, Executive Assistant, Sales Data Analyst, third-party fulfillment companies and the indirect supervision of all employees in the sales department
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Business Administration or related field from an accredited university; at least eight years of demonstrated leadership experience; proven track record in a sales and marketing environment performing the nature of work described herein and have worked in the Natural Products Industry for at least five years.
Any combination of educational and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities in action and results-oriented organization; enjoys working hard; organizes and leverages resources (people, money, time) effectively and efficiently.
- Creates, implements and monitors common systems and processes for designing and measuring work; is committed to continuous improvement; leverages technology to positively impact quality outcomes; can simplify complex processes.
- Exceptional negotiating skills.
- Communicates effectively; provides the information the team needs to make accurate decisions; makes people feel good about being a member of the team or company; is timely with information.
- Must have strong business acumen; and possess highly developed analytical skills together with excellent planning, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must have the aptitude to lead the organization with its core values and be the voice when straying from company goals.
- Effectively manages conflict; leans in and sees conflict as an opportunity; reads situations and people quickly
- Learns quickly when facing new challenges and in support of company growth; willing to experiment to find new solutions
- Develops people through multiple strategies; delegates effectively; shares responsibility and accountability; set stretch goals and coaches for success
- Solves difficult problems using rigorous logic and methods; sees beyond the obvious; looks to diverse sources for possible answers
- Manage department budget; run monthly sales reports and provide analysis of sales performance against budget and report variances to the executive team.
- Work with a spirit of enthusiasm, teamwork, cooperation and a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality over all matters in the course of business operations including customer and employee information.
- Exceptional working knowledge and intermediate/advanced use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Internet and ERP systems.
- Ability to travel extensively, flexible and frequently.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Use standard office equipment.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Perform most work in a climate-controlled office setting when not traveling under varying climatic conditions or participating in trade shows.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally.
- Sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity and balance frequently.
- Occasionally lifts carries and balances objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Pulls and pushes such objects as marketing displays, materials, and supplies.
- Prioritizes and multi-tasks work and projects requiring good memory, concentration, and analytical thinking.
- Occasionally is required to perform the safe operation of a vehicle, office equipment, and machines, and recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
- Must be able to hear, see including peripheral vision and distinction of colors, read and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and origins.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, and hearing of normal conversation is required.