Bulk Manufacturing Operator
In this position the operator will split time between the refining of raw oils and the processing of oils into the bar soap base.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Understand the vegetable oil refining process
- Operate refining, bleaching, and deodorization production processes
- Takes inline samples and analyzes them using in-house lab equipment as part of multiple process feedback loops.
- Understand utility equipment boilers, cooling towers, and chillers carrying out water chemistry testing procedures regularly and reporting any defects to the supervisor.
- Record batching and testing information in a consistent and accurate manner
- Use modern programmatic industrial controls to operate and monitor refining processes
- Able to carry out basic math skills to keep track of materials.
- Read and follow all standard operating procedures
- Understand the bar base saponification and drying processes
- Use modern industrial controls to saponify vegetable oils and dry the slurry into bar noodles for in-house pressing operation.
- Use in-house testing equipment to control saponification and drying processes.
- Record all soap base manufacturing, testing, and batching information.
- Reports any problems or issues to the Bulk Manufacturing Supervisor, including any feedback regarding the operation.
- Offloading raw materials into their dedicated storage receptacles keeping track of inventory.
- Carry out housekeeping duties ensuring a safe and clean workspace is maintained.
- Performs minor trouble-shooting and repair on familiar machinery.
- Performs minor maintenance and repair assignments as directed requiring the knowledge and familiar use of hand and electrical tools.
The incumbent will interact closely with the direct manager, director of operations, QC staff, and logistics staff.
High School Diploma or GED. On the job experience in refining or similar operations with industrial equipment and controls is preferred.
Any combination of education and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Understanding of and demonstrated ability in industrial controls and processes
- Ability to enter data into a proprietary computer system
- Forklift operator certified (preferred) or certifiable
- English/Spanish bilingual preferred.
- Ability to work well with others on the team
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Industrial controls, valves, computer equipment, all types of power & hand tools, pumps, compressors, forklift, and electric pallet jack.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Performs work in a variable-climate warehouse setting.
- Sit and/or stand for extended periods, walk, bend at the waist and knees, kneel, and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity and balance and climbing stairs frequently.
- Frequently or as assigned, lifts, balances, carries, stacks, and pushes/pulls objects weighing from 20-50 pounds and reaches above and below shoulder height.
- Performs work assignments requiring good memory and concentration.
- Ability to recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
- Must be able to hear, see including peripheral vision and distinction of colors, read and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent backgrounds and origins.
- Must work in an environment with a low to moderate noise level and minimal heating and air conditioning.