Bulk Manufacturing Operator
OVERVIEW & JOB SUMMARY
Under direct and general supervision of Leads and Supervisor, the Bulk Manufacturing Operator 1 is responsible for operating equipment in the production of Bar Base for Soap Bars and refining raw oils in the refinery. These processes require operators to have a good understanding of pumps, filters, steam boilers, chillers and be able to troubleshoot when problems arise. Flexible working hours are required for this role to which you will be expected to work first, second, or third shift depending on business needs. Mixing and tabulating raw materials and processed materials require attention to detail ensuring formulas and batch records are completed in a timely manner.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are important values at Dr. Bronner’s. All employees are called to practice acceptance, treat others with dignity and respect, learn from and celebrate each other’s differences, recognize one’s own privilege, root out one’s own and speak up against prejudice, and work to create a healthy and respectful workspace where colleagues feel valued and part of our community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Understand the vegetable oil refining process
- Operate refining, bleaching, and deodorization production processes
- Assists with taking inline samples and analyzes them using in-house lab equipment as part of multiple process feedback loops.
- Understand utility equipment boilers, cooling towers, and chillers carrying out water chemistry testing procedures regularly, and reporting any defects to supervisor.
- As directed by the shift leader will record batching and testing information in a consistent and accurate manner
- Use modern programmatic industrial controls to operate and monitor refining processes
- Able to carry out basic math skills to keep track of materials.
- Read and follow all standard operating procedures
- Understand the bar base saponification and drying processes
- Use modern industrial controls to saponify vegetable oils and dry the slurry into bar noodles for in-house pressing operation.
- As directed by the shift leader will use in-house testing equipment to control saponification and drying processes.
- Assists with recording all soap base manufacturing, testing, and batching information.
- Reports any problems or issues to the Bulk Manufacturing Supervisor, including any feedback regarding the operation.
- Offloading raw materials into their dedicated storage receptables keeping track of inventory.
- Carry out housekeeping duties ensuring a safe and clean workspace is maintained.
- Performs minor trouble-shooting and repair on familiar machinery.
- Performs minor maintenance and repair assignments as directed requiring the knowledge and familiar use of hand and electrical tools.
- Understand and follow SOP’s and WSI’s
The incumbent will interact closely with the Lead Operator, Bulk Manufacturing Supervisor, QC staff, and logistics staff.
Minimum: High School Diploma or GED. One year on the job experience in refining or similar operations with industrial equipment; pumps, valves, steam lines, conveyors, and controls.
Any combination of education and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration for this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Attitude: Confident, positive, enthusiastic, down to earth, flexible, & passionate
- Communication: Excellent, adaptive, creative, and concise verbal and written communicator in meeting spaces as well as over the phone, and e-mail; polite, professional, patient, and diplomatic in navigating inquiries; strong grammar skills. Requires strong interpersonal, communication, and organization skills including a good sense of judgment and the ability to build positive work relationships.
- Confidentiality: Maintain a high degree of confidentiality over all matters in the course of business operations including customer and employee information and demonstrate tact, discretion, exercise good judgment and discretion in handling and disseminating information.
- Critical Thinking: Ability to reason and analyze, to set and adhere to a timeline, accurately and independently, and to solve problems.
- Initiative: Responds promptly to requests, works quickly, accurately, and independently; effectively executes strategies, identify upcoming needs and potential risks; proactively manage tasks, meets challenges with resourcefulness, and present ideas and information in a manner that moves the team forward
- Leadership: Highly motivated and cooperative, takes initiative and responsibility for individual and group work, possesses a strong desire to succeed, accepts feedback from others, works with a spirit of enthusiasm and a sense of urgency.
- Organization: Exceptional proficiency in tracking deliverables, tasks, and project deadlines, juggling competing priorities, and multi-tasking efficiently
- Respect: Consciously learn from and celebrate differences among identities while recognizing commonalities and shared experiences; practice inclusive language and promote acceptance, safety, respect, inclusion, and value of individuals within the workplace, and those with whom you interact on behalf of the organization; become aware of all forms of bias, prejudice, and discrimination, and work to eliminate personal vestiges of racism, homophobia and sexism in thought, action and word; promptly report incidents of bias, prejudice and bigotry to the Human Resources Department or any member of the Executive Team.
- Teamwork: Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views, contributes to building a positive team spirit, is flexible to modifying work style to be effective within the group, able to work within a team environment and independently.
- Technical Proficiency: Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook); digital file sharing and project management systems (Google Drive, Dropbox, and SharePoint)
- Understanding of and demonstrated ability in industrial controls and processes
- Ability to enter data into a proprietary computer system
- Forklift operator certified (preferred) or certifiable
- English/Spanish bilingual preferred.
- Ability to follow a training plan within a set time period.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Industrial controls, valves, computer equipment, all types of power & hand tools, pumps, compressors, forklifts, and electric pallet jack.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Performs work in a variable-climate warehouse setting.
- Sit and/or stand for extended periods, walk, bend at the waist and knees, kneel and uses hands, arms, and legs for dexterity and balance, and climbing stairs frequently.
- Frequently or as assigned, lifts, balances, carries, stacks, and pushes/pulls objects weighing from 20-50 pounds and reaches above and below shoulder height.
- Performs work assignments requiring good memory and concentration.
- Ability to recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
- Must be able to hear, see including peripheral vision and distinction of colors, read and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent backgrounds and origins.
- Must work in an environment with a low to moderate noise level and minimal heating and air conditioning.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate (in a plant environment).
Dr. Bronner’s is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.