Accounts Payable Specialist
OVERVIEW & JOB SUMMARY
Under direct and general supervision, the Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for timely and accurate entry of accounts payable transactions and the setup and maintenance of vendor accounts in the ERP system. Accounts payable transactions include the processing of vendor invoices, expense reports and similar expenses as authorized and approved.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Ensure vendor invoices are distributed timely to appropriate departments and project managers for coding and approval.
- Review vendor invoices for purchase order implications and gets proper coding instructions for deposits on PO’s.
- Update purchase orders when prepayments are processed, ensuring proper commenting on invoice entry.
- Review vendor invoices for tax implications, including sales and use tax, CA non-resident withholding and 1099.
- Review vendor invoices for Expenditure Request Form (ERF) implications and ensures proper coding and approval prior to entry.
- Enter approved and coded vendor invoices to allow for prompt payment and purchase discounts to be taken.
- Fill out credit applications with proper information to secure credit terms from new vendors.
- Set up new vendors with proper review and documentation.
- Reconcile vendor accounts and communicate with vendor accounts receivable departments as needed.
- Assist with accounts payable filing system.
- Maintain accurate and updated vendor documentation.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
This position will interact closely with the Director of Finance, the Accounting Supervisor and other Finance department members, department managers, project managers, vendors, and other employees.
An Associate’s Degree from an accredited college; strong basic math skills including basic bookkeeping and/or accounting; customer-oriented communications. Proficiency in MS Office software applications and data entry into a business Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, with major coursework in business administration, finance or a business-related field; at least 3 years’ experience in accounting related duties such as performing order entry, invoicing, billing, collections, inventory and price change data entry, processing customer orders, basic accounts receivable or basic accounts payable; handling vendor communication to completion of transactions; intermediate use of Excel; typing with speed and accuracy.
Any combination of education and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position. Progressive education may be required in the scope of this position focused in accounting/finance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Perform reconciliations, including vendor reconciliations and prepayment reconciliations.
- Strong working knowledge of the general ledger and use of GL segments.
- Work with a spirit of enthusiasm, teamwork, cooperation and a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality over all matters in the course of business.
- Ability to multi-task in an efficient, thorough, and prioritized manner.
- Good working knowledge and intermediate use of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, ERP system and the Internet.
- Ability to work quickly, accurately and independently; to anticipate needs and solve problems; and, to learn data entry and transaction processes quickly and thereafter execute efficiently and thoroughly.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
Tools and Equipment Used
Standard office equipment including proficient use of personal computer and 10-key adding machine.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Perform work in a climate-controlled office setting.
- Sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity, balance and climbing stairs frequently.
- Occasionally lift, carry and balance objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Pull and push such objects as file drawers and supplies.
- Prioritize and multi-task work and projects requiring good memory, concentration and analytical thinking.
- Occasionally perform the safe operation of a vehicle, office equipment and machines, and recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
- Must be able to hear, see including peripheral vision and distinction of colors, read and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and origins.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.