For the Animals, the Environment and Our Health
In addition to producing the highest-quality soaps that are certified vegan (free from animal ingredients) and are certified free from animal testing with the cruelty-free “leaping bunny” logo, Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps is proud to support leading animal advocacy organizations that are working to reduce the suffering of farm animals and to advocate for a transition to healthier and more sustainable food systems.
Company President David Bronner is a longtime vegan, and many of Dr. Bronner’s employees are supporters of a vegetarian lifestyle. We support efforts to reduce the consumption of meat and other animal-based foods as a means of reducing animal suffering, promoting better nutrition and conserving environmental resources.
The reasons to advocate for a meat-free diet are many, spanning animal welfare, the environment, health and other concerns. Here are just a few examples:
- Animal welfare. Every year in the U.S., nine billion farmed animals (not including fish) are confined in filthy conditions on factory farms, packed into trucks and sent to be slaughtered. Nearly all of the turkeys, cows, chickens, pigs and other farm animals used to produce meat, eggs and dairy products sold in the U.S. endure conditions that cause needless stress, pain and suffering. The number of aquatic animals killed for human consumption is not known – in the U.S., fish killed for food are not counted as individuals; they’re tracked by total pounds. Annual estimates, however, exceed fifteen billion animals killed. Dr. Bronner’s believes that all animals should be treated humanely and with respect for their well-being.
- Environment. The way farm animals are raised contributes to climate change, wildlife erosion and other environmental destruction. Factory farms raising thousands of animals generate huge amounts of manure that pollutes the soil, water and air. Feeding farm animals grain also diverts valuable crops that could be used to feed people instead. We can transition to better food systems through our daily food choices.
- Health. Studies continue to show that vegetarian and plant-based diets can aid in reversing the symptoms of our most devastating diseases, including type 2-diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some types of cancer. People who follow a plant-based diet tend to have a healthier heart, reap the benefits of lower cholesterol levels, and have lower blood pressure and less heart disease. Plant-based diets are typically low in saturated fat, and since cholesterol is found only in animal products, it is easy to consume a cholesterol-free diet.
While many at Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps are not vegetarian or vegan, we feel it is important for everyone to educate themselves about the meat, dairy and egg industries in order to learn about where the food we eat comes from. We believe in knowing the farm and farmers from whom we buy to ensure they are treating their animals humanely.
For those who do choose to eat meat, dairy and fish, yet are still concerned about the impact of their food choices, using the following resources can help reduce the suffering and damage caused by animal industries:
- The 5-Step™ Animal Welfare Rating Standards of Whole Foods
- Certified Humane
- Animal Welfare Approved
- Marine Stewardship Council Certification
Help farm animals and the planet. Improve your health. Check out the animal protection and advocacy organizations that we support to learn more. Every time we sit down to eat, we can stand up for animals, simply by choosing to leave them off our plates.